This week we practiced both the Iyengar Yoga Sequence and the Ashtanga primary series. Both instructors were really impressive, but I specifically enjoyed the Iyengar sequence. Just the smooth flow of movements in Iyengar, the way the teacher actually taught us the movements herself, and the specific poses really just made me want to push myself. My whole body was sore after the practice, and I could feel that she made me stretch muscles that I haven't stretched in a long time. I also really appreciated how she explained which muscles we were stretching and showed us progressions of some of the more simple poses we were doing.

Ashtanga in comparison was still interesting! It feels more advanced just because it was such fast shifting from pose to pose, and there was much more strength involved. I had to stop when we started standing holding up one leg because I couldn't balance myself, so I had to move to use the wall. One thing I noticed about zoom yoga classes is that I feel almost awkward doing the poses on camera and how I don't think I would have felt the same had it been an in person class. 

The Iyengar teacher explained to us how different sides of our body represented directions. It made me feel as if each pose was getting energy flowing equally to each direction, and it made me start to understand what they mean by ritualistic. Ashtanga and Iyengar both felt this way, especially with the focus on breathing and the way the sequences reminded me of prayer. 

With all of this, I found that I slowed down when we did Ashtanga yoga, I really struggle to find a sense of community over zoom. Covid has severely impacted the sense of connection that the class would have had over all of these different yoga practices. I feel like had it been in person, it would have been easier to push each other, but also see each others flaws and not get so discouraged. However, although I can interact with everyone on the screen, it doesn't invoke the same feeling that something tangible would.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog